Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Halloween Home Tour - The Kitchen Edition






About four or five years ago we had an edition put on our house. I went from having a postage stamp kitchen to a wonderful long and wide work space that is connected to a new family room and dining area. One of my most adored features are the little windows that dot the long wall. There are four of them. I have a silly and fun dream to have seasonal decorations to change out every month of the year. I have a long way to go before I realize that fluffy dream, but I certainly have Halloween figured out. And here they are. The goblets came from Dept. 56. Normally I would not have their wonderful stuff. However, the Halloween gods smiled on me two years ago. Sears had ordered a ton of stuff from Dept. 56 and it arrived on the day before Halloween. It went out of the box, got a 90% off sticker, onto the shelf and much of it came home with me. They are actually a lot more interesting in person. I love how they all got together. The corner spot sports Hildegaard, Boo Kitty, a Crow and a cross stitch. Hilde was a wonderful surprise from my dear friend, Natalie. Hilde's sister resides at her house. Hilde is a handmade doll with great details that cannot be fully appreciated in this photo. She has a wand with a cat head and a 1940's style pumpkin for collecting candy. Her dress has tiny black and white triangles. Her hat has a wire with tin stars. She reminds me that I am loved. I used to have more cutesy stuff, but I am finding that I am going more and more towards the Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) look these days. This shows up a bit in my dish towels. I wish I had thought to buy more of them so that I could make something with them. Tomorrow (or soon) I will show you another room.
On a totally different note, I wanted to write about Ethan and how proud I am of him. For a long time he has wanted his own laptop computer. We cannot get one for him. This summer he worked hard mowing lawns and save up $440. When we went to the store we found that he could get a computer, but he would have to compromise on what he wanted. He thought he might save up some more. We talked about this at the usually Sunday dinner we have with the grandparents. Grandpa Don took interest and asked lots of questions. Thursday evening he took Ethan out to look again. Grandpa announced that he would "help Ethan out" and agreed to just about match Ethan's money. On Saturday they found that Office Depot was having a screamin' sale and they came home with a Lenovo ThinkPad (IBM). Ethan is absolutely thrilled and feels very important. Larr is proud and is happy to share the computer, too. Ethan's not sure what he will save for next. What ever it will be, I am sure it will be great. Don't you just love it when your kid does something smart or great!

No comments: