Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The University Panini

On Monday Ellie and I joined her best friend, Christy, and her mom, Connie for birthday shopping for Christy. Her uncle sends her spending money and the birthday or Christmas shopping trip is always fun. We visited a few toy stores and an Artisan Gallery. Then we had lunch at Whole Foods. We each got something different. I was really torn between the roasted veggie sandwich which sported basil pesto mayo and the University sandwich. I could have been happy with either one. Here's how to make it:

The University Sandwich

Focaccia bread, split for a sandwich
Fig Spread (like jam - really wonderful!)
Turkey (thinly sliced, at least two layers)
Brie Cheese ( you can leave the wax on)
Field Green.


Construction:
Put the Fig spread on both pieces of bread. Next, place a the turkey, making sure there is a place where there are at least two layers. Next, slice the Brie into thickish (1/2"?) pieces and place on the turkey. At this point the sandwich can be heated as you would for a grilled sandwich or a paninia. Open the sandwich back up and place the field green between the layers of turkey. Enjoy!

We are otherwise rather busy. It seems amazing to me how the day fills up and at the end I got very little of my "to do" list completed. I guess it is because I am more of a Taxi these days than anything else.

This morning when I went for my usual bike ride I had just gotten over the warm up part when I got a flat. I pulled out my fancy air cartridge and filled it a bit, just enough to get to some shade. I then proceeded to attempt to fix my tire. This was nearly like a Monty Python skit. I got the wheel off from the back of the bike and the tire off of the rim but from there I was lost. I could not find the hole. I went to put on my spare and found that it was the wrong size. I also could not remember which order things went in to reassemble it. In the end I had to call my son and wake him up . He rode his bike (in his P.J.'s ) to where I was. He brought a proper tire, fixed my flat and we were on our way home. Thank goodness he was home!

Ellie had a friend over and they went for a bike ride. Anna's stepmom works at a shop a few miles away. They rode over to see her. She gave the girls some cash. The girls rode their bikes to the Starbucks by Sloan's Lake and enjoyed a bit of morning refreshments while people watching. Later they came home and watched "Penelope." Then they went to a braided jewelry class a the local library. It was the last of the teen sessions. Ellie really enjoyed them.

No comments: