Monday, August 19, 2013

How to Be REALLLLYYYYYY Popular at the Dog Park, Guaranteed!

I had my first day with students today at the new school. It was great. I had a stomach ache most of the weekend in anticipation. (You think I'd know that it would be okay after all of these years, but still, I fret, even if just a bit.) There were glitches, like the power going out for a while and the air conditioning not working, but I know I will love the kids. Anyway, it is too much to write about just now, so I will write about it later.
This evening we took Remmi to the dog park. Remmi has chewed apart all of his balls, so Ellie grabbed a rawhide bone as a toy to play with. One of us threw it and Remmi went in that direction, but not in any kind of hurry. A lovely husky decided that he would be happy to have that bone and set off. Then another cute cattle dog came over, too. She REALLY wanted that bone. Kohlton picked it up and was instantly surrounded by happy, hopeful dogs. Eventually he handed it off to me, he and Ellie taking Remmi off in another direction. I became the star of that canine admiration. They followed me everywhere. I eventually hid the rawhide bone in my clothing in an attempt to be less popular. Even so, they came, some of them from way across the dog park. My new friends followed me until we had to leave.
---

Here's a great dinner we had recently:

Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
via: Taste William Sonoma blog

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 6 oz. each
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Olive oil for brushing
8 slices Fontina cheese
8 slices sourdough bread
Mayonnaise (optional)
8 thick tomato slices
4 Tbs. pesto, homemade or store-bought

Season the chicken breast halves with salt and pepper and sprinkle evenly with the Italian seasoning. Brush lightly on all sides with the oil.

Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.

Place the chicken on the grill directly over the fire and cook until nicely grill-marked and relatively firm to the touch, 5 to 8 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. You want the chicken to be opaque throughout but still moist and juicy inside. About 2 minutes before the chicken is ready, place 2 slices of the cheese on each breast half, cover the grill and allow the cheese to melt. Put the bread slices along the edge of the grill at the same time, and turn once after 1 minute to toast both sides.

Transfer the chicken and bread slices to a cutting board. Spread the bread slices with mayonnaise, if desired. Cut each breast half against the grain on the diagonal into 3 to 4 pieces. Arrange one sliced breast half on each of 4 bread slices. Top with 2 tomato slices, and then top the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the pesto, spreading it evenly over the tomatoes. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices, and serve. Serves 4.

No comments: