Sunday, May 24, 2015

Rainy Day Plants + Chipped Beef on Toast

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that I had moved to Seattle since it has been rainy, stormy and thundering every day for the last three weeks, or maybe even more. I've lost count.
My students had their last day of the school year on Friday. (I have another week to go.) They were more calm than usual since it does not actually feel like summer here, yet. The upside of this weather is that we have successfully transplanted many plants from Don and Eleanor's garden to our garden. Our plants are very happy.

I've also brought a few of the beauties in so that I can enjoy them.

I am also trying to find more time to relax, and take some time to do a little sketching.

The ferns are never happy in a vase. It would have been better to draw them right after I brought them home. Looking back over my sketch book. I see that I have drawn them a few times.

--------
Here's what I made for dinner last night. It reminded me of my Grandmother Micki. Ethan had asked me about this recipe, so I decided to make it for him. The version my grandmother made was much more simple.

Chipped Beef on Toast
via: Food Network

4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
3 shallots, minced
12 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
Chipped beef, for serving
Sourdough toast, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Paprika, for garnish

In a small pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and add the flour. Cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to turn a light brown color, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.

In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cook the garlic, rosemary and shallots until the shallots are translucent. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Add the butter-flour mixture, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salt and pepper and strain.

For each serving, heat 1 cup of sauce to a simmer, add 2 ounces chipped beef and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture over two to three slices sourdough toast and garnish with parsley and paprika.

This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Industrial Cafe and Saloon
------

I will be making some cheese this summer. I used to enjoy making it when the kids were young. I am inspired to do it again:

Whiteout: Artisanal Mozzarella Process from Honeyland Films on Vimeo.

No comments: