Friday, April 20, 2007

The Good, The Bad, The Sad and the Ugly

The Good

The time trial cycling races went much better this week. Both of the kids were totally jazzed at the end of their races. Ethan told me he thinks he was going so fast that he is sure he broke the speed limit. He asks, "Mom, can I get arrested for breaking the speed limit on my bike during a race?" Ellie told heroic tales of riding in gale force winds that nearly blew her off sideways. She also thought that the local deer were happy to watch as she went by. They chattered happily all the way home. Ellie placed third and Ethan was 6th in their respective divisions.

Also good is the birthday card I made for my friend, Julie. It was simple to make, but well received. I cut the greeting out with my Cricut machine.

The Bad

I was sick with a weird illness. I thought I just had a naggy headache and exhaustion from being on the constant go for about the last three weeks, but it turns out that I was sick. I slept for nearly two and a half days.

The Sad

My uncle died on Thursday. Lung Cancer made a quick job of it. Thankfully, we knew what he wanted and take comfort in knowing we can carry out his wishes as well as knowing he is no longer in pain. He has not had a quality of life since before Christmas. Still, it is hearkening to think that last July he was still playing professional senior tennis and placing in the top three consistently. Joe Martin was an incredible man. We were lucky to have him in our lives. We will remember him with smiles, giggles and fun.

The Ugly

The Virginia Tech situation sends ripples into all of our lives. I work at a school that had a bomb threat. My students, those who showed up on that day, were scarred. My ESL: students did not understand the letter the school send home or the phone message, or most of what was on the news. It was hard to figure out where the line is between informing them and adding fuel to the fire. Dealing with their reactions was also difficult. My students who moved here because their towns were being bombed had very strong reactions. How can I help them feel safe?


No comments: