Friday, April 13, 2007

Growing Up a Little - An Update

Okay, I am a bit more composed and rested as I write this post (as opposed to the last post that I did at 3:00 a.m.). I have figured out that I have as much learning to do, or maybe even more, as Ellie has, especially when it comes to this letting-your-daughter-grow-up area in our lives.

After talking with friends who are serious cyclists, our coaches and getting an unprompted note from the race organizer, we both feel much better. I had been worried that my girl would say, "NO MORE!" and walk away from the bike. Silly me, it was not actually like that at all. She was much cooler about it than I was.

When Ellie got up the next morning she and I talked before I went to work. Here's what we figured out:
* That was the hardest race of the series because now she knows what to expect;
* She managed to get dehydrated because she did not drink before or during the race. My cycling friends tell me a 10.5 mile race to a ten year old is like a 70 miler to an adult - you gotta take in fluids. The coach is going to help her with this;
* Little clip on your body or bike flashing lights and a head lamp will make both of us feel better;
* The car that was following her with the flashers on was part of the race. It turns out that there are two cars that go through the course at the end to make sure EVERYONE is done. Since some people quit the race without finishing it, it is impossible to figure it out otherwise. The car that follows the last person is your friend, not a frustrated and angry motorist who wants to run you down;
* The organizer found an earlier spot for Ellie so that she should be finishing just as it is beginning to get really dark. I am so thankful for this. (I had resisted the urge to yank her out of the race or throw a quite but strong fit);
* A later twilight will also help;
* She will no longer be the last one on the course due to the new time slot;
* She was sixth in her catagory;
* And finally, and most importantly, you gotta trust your girl - she is stronger than you think. She still needs you, but she is also her own force to be reconded with. She is proud that she finished. She has a plan for next week's race;
* She was amazing at cycling practice Thursday evening. Perhaps Mom is more scared than she is.

Okay, soon as I have time to stop, breathe and download some photos, I will post more pictures again. While I began this blog as a way to share what I make with my distant friends, it has morphed into more. It is really a way for me to distill where I am and what is going on. Taking these things out of my head where they float around, unconnected, and put them down on "paper" make lots of things more clear.

On a side note, the person who received my Operation Haremail package was very happy. Now I can post photos of what I made for her.

"We will now return to our regularly scheduled program..." (said in television announcer's voice).. stay tuned for crafting again.

No comments: