Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lessons in Learning To Trust



Is it possible that I am learning as much from my kids' cycling experiences as they are? Not in the same realm, for sure, but learning and growing none-the-less. I am an independent person, perhaps to a fault. I was the one in high school who did all of the work for every group I was in. I made my own wedding dress, most of the bride's maid's dresses, all of the food and the wedding cake. I tell you this not to impress you, but to show you how independent I am. I have a hard time trusting that others will do their part - on time - and to my standards. Yeah, that sounds a bit snooty, but it is not meant to be. So here are my kids having a blast in cycling. I know almost nothing about it, so I have to depend on others for help. When Ethan's gears would not shift during the last two races I was stymied. We asked the coaches for help, which they gladly offer. Once the bike was on the stand, lo and behold, we had not greased the chain and it turns out the chain needs to be oiled every second or third time you ride the bike. Yikes! I worry so much about not being able to reciprocate, of being seen as too needy or having too many questions. I am just going to have to get over it. Thankfully, the coaches are either unaware that I have this fight going on in my head, or they are exceedingly helpful and polite. Most likely, it is both. These are good lessons for me to learn. Even my husband says I don't let other people help. I guess I have been like this for so long that I just don't even notice it anymore.


How can I tell where not-trusting-others blends into Miss- My-Middle-Name-is-Overachiever? How many places in my life have I blocked myself because I did not realize that I could or should ask for help?


I hope to return to craft posting soon. I had never intended for this to be an adventures in Junior Cycling blog, but at times that is what it seems to be, sometimes.

No comments: