Thursday, February 14, 2008

All You Need is Love - A Valentine Celebration






It's funny, I just wanted to have a nice family dinner and enjoy some togetherness for Valentine's day. I know that many people see it as a day to celebrate romantic love, but over time and with the help of my friends, it has grown to be something more like Thanksgiving - not a day of thankfulness, but a day of who I love, regardless of what kind of love it is. Anyhow, I digress, the evening turned out to be much more than that bit of togetherness. It much more. We started with a simple, but nice dinner followed by movie and some ice cream. I stopped by Baskin & Robin to get some of everyone's favorite. They were low on many flavors so we ended up with Mint Chocolate Chip. Then we began the movie, "Across the Universe." I love artsy movies, so I was excited to see it. Larr wanted to see it because of the Beatle's music. Larr and I, and sometime Ethan, sang our way through through the movie. We really enjoyed the movie and singing along, but most of all I loved how it reminded me of the history my husband and I share. We met on a blind date in 1983. In fact, our anniversary of meeting will be next week. The songs, covered by people other than theBeatles, reminded me of different times in our live together. Singing to overly loud music as we drove from college to home for the summer one year, to the songs we sing when we hike, to the songs we played at our wedding. Now the songs have become intertwined with the lives of our children. The first album Ellie put on her Ipod was a Beatle record. Ethan has nearly all of the songs on his laptop. I don't consider our family to be musically orientated, but maybe I may have to rethink that. The movie was enjoyable as a story, as eye candy and as a surprise walk down memory lane. I hope that your Valentine's Day was a good one, too.

No comments: