Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting Ahead of Myself & Listening to My Internal Voice


Last Tuesday I finished the weaving I made for Ethan. I promise to post a photo of it some time soon. I was happy to find that his was a little less bullet proof than the one I made for my sweet Ellie girl. My mother-in-law's birthday is coming up soon so I decided that the next project would be for her. She has a lovely dinning room that could use a table runner so I thought I would take up that project. Thinking fondly of the table runners we got from weaving friends for wedding gifts so many years ago I selected five cones of CotLin in her colors. Harriet, the shop owner, thought they would look lovely and that since I seem to be a natural weaver I would probably produce something great. I worked at the calculations and putting together the warp for a few hours. Then I began to dress my loom. It was then that I found that maybe this project was a bit of a leap for me. My others were done with wool that was much more chunky than the Cotlin. The CotLin is about as thick as dental floss. The other projects were around 80 ends. This project has 278 ends. As I began to dress the loom my brain and fingers grew tense. While I was handling the yarn correctly, it was being resistant and trying to tangle. It reminded me of a child who is long overdue for lunch. My internal voice reminded me that this is for fun, so it should be fun, not a long struggle. Wondering if there was a hint or trick that could make this easier, I called a friend and Aunt Lynne for advice. They assured me that it is good yarn, but maybe not the one for this project. After some discussion I decided to save the warp threads in a baggie and begin a different project. I think I will do a rep weave instead. I have already dyed the threads and collected all that I need. It will be fun. I made the mop cotton Cotton Candy (fushia-ish) and the other threads are handdyed with shades of royal purple, periwinkle-ish and lime green. It will be fun to make, but it will not be for Eleanor. Her colors are champayne, beige, gold and various shades of sage green. Her project will have to wait. I think I will be glad to have listened to my internal voice. Sometimes I can be stubborn and not accept that I can't do something. It is a small victory for me to say, enough already.

No comments: