Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Going Warp Speed or How to Floss Your Cat's Teeth



Once I got over the need to change projects (as I mentioned in yesterday's post) I was ready to move full speed ahead. I had two beautiful, handdyed hanks of cotton/rayon fiber. I fell in love with them the first time I wandered around the store and signed up for the class I am now taking. I then would "visit" them from time to time, fondling them on occation. (If you don't love to work with fibers this may sound a bit weird, but it is all about the wonder of color and texture.) I finally decided to buy them a few weeks ago. Then I dye some mop cotton a bright fushia-ish color called Cotton Candy. I had hoped to get the loom dressed by the time I went to bed last night, but it did not happen. It turned out that it took me quite a while to wind the yarn into balls so that I could put them on the warp board. (The warp board is a way to get a large number of specifically measured pieces of yarn done in an efficient manner.) I wish you could see the colors better - what looks yellow in the photos is actually a wonderful bright, lime green. There are also subtle shades of light purple and a small bit of periwinkle in the yarn. It may have taken me a while to do this as I had a lot of help - furry help, that would be. You see, my cats felt the need to play with, taste and otherwise try to obscond with the yarn as I was working with it. I think over 100 yards of yarn must have flossed Toby's tiny feline teeth. In the end it all worked out just fine. I will have to zip home as quickly as possible in order to get the loom dressed in time for class tonight.

No comments: