Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sketchbook Notes - From Urban Sketching

I've been trying to make time to draw at least three times a week. I am imitating the artistic style of other artists in an effort to strengthen my ability to draw what I actually see, instead of what I see in my brain. I know that sounds kind of weird. Trying to draw exactly what I see forces me to focus on details and spacial relationships. It is hard, and pretty cool. I've also always loved the sketchbooks and journals created by artists who incorporate images (usually quickly drawn ones) with hand written text.

These notes are from Urban Watercolor Sketching by Felix Scheinberger.
Here's a sample of one of the pages that I imitated in a more space restricted manner.
The ironic thing that you may have noticed is that I have had to add the color about watercolor paints to the images on the pages in my sketchbook with colored pencil since the pages are too thin for wet media.
There are a few more pages that I may or may not make notes from.

I had a lot of fun doing these pages and I am pleased with how they turned out. I am going to look for another book on sketching and repeat the process. I hope you enjoyed seeing these pages.

No comments: