Friday, June 19, 2015

More Encaustics from My Trip to Anderson Ranch + Strawberries with Sweet Biscuits and Whipped Cream Sweet Biscuits Recipes

I wanted to make sure to share a few more of the pieces that I made up at Anderson Ranch in the Encaustics class. This is not all of them. I brought home a bunch of pieces that are in-process. I am pretty happy with these:
These are two images are from Ethan's trip to Thailand. I decided not to alter the images. I have a few more that I want to print up a few more to make a series for him.
I really like how this image turned out. I added a lot of color, both pan pastel and oil paint, on the edges.This is on a beach near Cabo in Mexico.
I think this is my favorite from this class. I am going to make portraits of the cats in the same style. This is the one that people remarked on when they came through our studio.
I want to add some text to this piece. It is still in process.

This was my inspiration for the piece above.

I also worked on trying to figure out what my style is. When I look back at the art I have made that I like, most of it has some pen and ink included. I think I am close to figuring out my artistic groove.

Now I am gearing up to go back to the Ranch to do a photography workshop (what a lucky girl I am!). I am nervous as I do not know how to use all of the functions Ellie's camera. I am working on learning that today.

----------
This was a popular dessert last night:

Strawberries with Sweet Biscuits and Whipped Cream

Sweet Biscuits


2 cups All Purpose Flour
¼ cup Cornstarch
2 TBL Sugar
1 TB Baking Powder
¼ cup Butter, cold and cut into chunks
1 cup Milk or Cream

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Combine flour, cornstarch, sugar and baking powder in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse a few times to mix. Add in the butter and pulse until the butter and dry material looks a bit like sand. With the blade running, add in the milk, just until it forms a dough. That means that you may not need all of the milk, or you may need a bit more.

Turn this out onto a floured surface and knead once or twice, just to make sure that the dough is mixed. Pat it out until it is around ½” thick. Cut out biscuits. (I used a drinking glass.)

Bake for 12-15 minutes. Brush with butter once they are hot out of the oven. Dust with sugar, if you like. Cut in half.


Dessert Strawberries

4-5 cups Strawberries (1 large box) cut off stems and slice into coins
¾ cup Water
¾ cup Sugar
3 TBL Cornstarch dissolved in a small bit of cold water
1 tea Lemon or Lime Juice

Place the sliced strawberries, water and sugar in a sauce pan. Heat on medium, stirring to help the sugar dissolve. Cook until lightly bubbly. Stir in the cornstarch that has been dissolved in cold water. Stir again, bringing the mixture back up to a slight boil. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes longer and then turn off the heat, letting it cool and thicken a bit.

Serve with the sweet biscuits and whipped cream. This could also be used for a strawberry pie.




No comments: