Monday, November 16, 2009

Holiday Inspiration - Candied Nuts & Many Ways to Decorate

Lots of stuff happened this past weekend, of course. But today I am finding a small snatch of time to enjoy the quiet and be inspired by other blogger's postings. Here are some of my favorites:


Red and White by Joanna Henderson

Inspiration via Molly Irwin.

I'm so impressed and inspired by the work of Helen Musselwhite.

This lovely image and the ones below are from Living ETC. magazine. You can see them and many other by visiting their gallery section and selecting Christmas.


I am also starting the free holiday class over at JessicaSprague.com. I love her wonderful classes. In the letter from her today she mentioned a fun website for those who love to be totally organized. Organized Christmas has tons of printable items for creating notebooks with checklists, to do lists, section dividers, etc. You might like it, too.

I love candied or glazed nuts. I find that I have to buy them every time I go to the Renaissance Festival. My friend, Mike, shared her recipe with me recently. We loved the results. I think Ethan would simply stand at the stove and eat all 48 oz. (nearly 9 cups) of them if I would let him. I think it is a recipe worth sharing and I think Mike would be glad for it, too.

Mike's Candied Nuts

8 cups mixed pecan halves, walnuts, and almonds [use raw not pre-salted nuts]
4 egg whites beaten to soft peaks
1 cup sugar [I've used both brown and white, but cut it down to 3/4 cup packed brown]
4 tsps. cinnamon
1 tsp. grated nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom ( I didn't have this, but they were still great!)
Pam for baking sheet

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with heavy duty foil; spray lightly with Pam.

Bring egg whites to soft peak. In a separate bowl combine the sugar and spices. Gently fold the mixed nuts to the egg white peaks. Add the sugar and spice mixture. Spread out in a single layer over baking sheets. Cook 15 minutes. Stir. cook an additional 15 minutes. Stir. Reduce heat to 250 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes. stir and cool.

Ellie would like to come up with a caramel glazed nut recipe. I'll let you know if we are successful.

No comments: