Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Little Q, A Little Shoe, a Little Hat and a Big Ball of Stress


We took last Saturday off from the races. We all slept in a bit and enjoyed a more relaxing start than we usually experience. I had visions of staying home, getting the cleaning and laundry done quickly and then having the day to mostly relax. But that is not how it really played out. We had errands to run and kids to shuttle to places. Ethan went with the Boy Scouts to sell beef jerky. Ellie just HAD to go shopping with Christy. She's been on a quest for shoes to go with her special dress for the Masquerade Ball in January and she had great luck. She came home, pleased as can be, with these lovely, high heeled, very grown up shoes. She is smitten. She gets her love of shoes from Grandma Gay.

I raised my eyebrow and before a word even slipped from my lips, Ellie rattled on how they are so comfortable and that she'll be just fine. I think the shoes are cute, but you couldn't pay me to wear such things. However, I'm glad she found what she was looking for.

Larr and I did some of our shopping and come home with a few goodies including a new Star Trek Fan Collective - Q. I had hoped to find the Borg collective but it was not to be found.

We spent much of the evening last many of the past, enjoying Star Trek.

Sunday found us off to the races again. This time we were at a new location in Brighton. Ethan had a great race, placing first in his category and third overall in the juniors.

Ellie had a miserable race. Her shoe came off during one of the run ups, she fell over at one point and she had the speed of little more than a slug, sort of. It was hard to watch. It was like her legs were in slow motion. The race winner passed (lapped) her about five feet from the finish line. She pulled out thinking she was done. Coach Bill and I made her do one more lap since she was racing against the girls and had not been lapped. She felt defeated, but we had a good talk. She has been feeling a lot of stress of late. Not just about biking, but about life in general. We had hoped that once she got her room cleaned that she would feel better. She says she has been stressed for weeks and felt like she could not breathe during the race. She felt like her lips were turning blue or purple. I am taking this to heart and am seeking to help her remedy the situation. Her dad suffers from stress induced asthma some times and she thinks she does, too. It is hard to know what to worry about and what is simply part of growing up.



On a brighter note, I was happy to finish the hat that I am making for sweet baby William. I hope that it will get some use.

No comments: