Sunday, November 22, 2009

A little racing, some Rock and Roll and a Lot of Girl Time



Friday afternoon, after school got out, Ellie and I headed south to meet our friends Mike and Laurel at the Castle Rock Outlet mall. We had a nice time looking for great deals. I didn't really find the things I was looking for, but we had luck with Mike's quest. She had drawn the name of a young man in foster card who would love a copy of one of the "Transformers" movies or a hoodie. Aeropostale, a very cool store, was having an amazing sale where nearly everything was 70% off. Mike was able to afford both and stay within budget. After shopping we spent the night at their house. They live in Monument on a nice chunk of land. Without the light pollution of Denver and the clear skies, we were able to admire the stars,including the big dipper.

On Saturday the girls raced. Ellie had another bad race. At one point she took so long to come around that I asked another one of the kids if he had seen her and if she was still on her bike. It turns out that she crashed and landed on her face. She was okay, but very upset once the race was over. It was hard to see how she felt. I hate when I am powerless to make her feel better. I've taken care of the stuff I can control, like her bike, better racing shoes, making sure she does not have asthma, etc. It seems like she has to reconcile whatever is going on in herself. It is one of the most difficult parts of parenting. After she recovered we all went to lunch at a pit of a Mexican food restaurant, but the food was wonderful. I had a party to go to so I kissed my girl goodbye and told her I would see her on Sunday. She and Laurel had plans.


I made my way to Golden to attend Michelle's bridal shower at The French Press. It was a great party. I am so pleased for Michelle and Nils. They deserve only the best. They are so in love. It is inspiring to see, and fun to experience. The coffee house closed at 1:00 so we had the place to ourselves. They served wonderful food, we had a nice time visiting and it was fun to see her gifts.

We had nice roll-ups with roast beef or turkey as well as veggies.

My favorite item was the savory pastry. It was puff pastry that enclosed a bacon and cheddar cheese filling. I could have had just these and would been perfectly satisfied. curiosity got the better of me, so I tried a little of most of the items.

It was hard to pick a dessert. In the end I elected to have the chocolate filled pillow, a lovely choice.

I zipped home to see the boys. We wanted to relax together so Larr, Ethan and I went to see the new the "Pirate Radio" movie. It was refreshing to see such a fun movie. It made me want to create a new playlist on my IPod.


Times like these make me thankful for my friends and my family. I had such fun with all of them.

No comments: