Thursday, November 05, 2009

Trying to Get a Calm Center or Knitting and Movie Watching as a way to relax

[Photos are coming soon - just as soon as I can get that boy to model the hat for me.]
The last two weeks were crazy busy. Although they were fun, they were also stressful. The two races last weekend were national level races which meant that they were a big deal. The kids raced both of them, but they really did seem to want to. I think they were simply tired, which translated into big fights over stupid stuff. I'm trying to pull back a bit and relax more this week. I went to see The Pioneer Woman on Monday and we have a party tonight, but on Tuesday and Wednesday we mostly relaxed and watched movies. We viewed "GI Joe" which was predictable, but fun to watch, and "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" which was a real chick flick. I've also worked on my knitting. I am trying to make my self feel more centered or grounded. I am seeking out a sense of calmness. All of this relaxing will catch up to me, but for now it is my best choice.

There is another mother on the bike team, Vicki, who knits. I always love to check out what she is making. Most recently she made a thin wool hat that her son Sam wears under his helmet on cold days. I loved the feel and simple look of it. She used Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino for the hat. It is a DK weight so the needles were only size three. I was inspired so I asked for the pattern. She had it memorized and told it to me. I usually use much thicker yarn, but decided to give it a go. I made Ethan's hat very quickly and it has already served him well. Now I am onto another hat that I am making for a new little soul who has joined this world.

Here's Vicki's Hat Pattern (slightly modified)

You'll Need:
#2 16" Circular Needles
#3 16" Circular Needles
1 set #3 Double Pointed Needles
Stitch Markers
2 balls DK weight Yarn

Cast on 108 st.
onto the #3 circular needles (I think Vicki does her ribbed rows on #2 circular needles for a tighter band. I could not get any so I went with the #3 and it worked just fine.) Knit one row, being sure that it does not twist. Begin the ribbing in the second row by:
K3 P3 - continue until the ribbing is 1.5" wide.
(Switch to the #3 needles and a new color)
K 52, add 1 stitch, K 52 add 1 more stitch to have 110 stitches per row. Knit as many rows of the new color as pleases you. Switch back to the main color when you want to.
Continue knitting in the round and making color stripes until the hat measures 6.5" total, including the ribbing.
Now to begin the decrease (Switch over to the DPN when the circular needles become too long to manage):
K8 KT2, K8 KT2 > to the end of the row. Consider putting on a stitch marker after each KT2.
Knit a row.
K7 KT2, K7 KT2> to the end of the row.
Knit a row.
K6 KT2, K6 KT2 > to the end of the row.
Knit a row.
K5 KT2, K5 KT2> to the end of the row.
Knit a row.
K4 KT2, K4 KT2> to the end of the row.
Knit a row.
K3 KT2, K3 KT2> to the end of the row.
Knit a row.
K2 KT2, K2 KT2> to the end of the row.
Knit a row.
K1 KT2, K1 KT2> to the end of the row.
Knit a row.

Continue this until you have about 6 stitches left on your needles.
Use a crochet hook to thread the fiber through the remaining stitches and pull tight. Knit in the ends.

The hat will look pretty thin and small, but it stretches nicely.

Enjoy! I know I did!

No comments: