Friday, July 02, 2010

Missing the Deviled Egg Gene - Cooking with My Mom


My mother is known for her deviled eggs. It is almost assumed that she will bring a large try for her contribution to a potluck. My husband and son might have them daily, if they could. While I can make them taste just a good, I seem to be lacking the "Deviled Egg" gene that my mother has. Sadly, it was not one of the talents she passed on to me. Nonetheless, I decided to get together with her and make a tutorial of the process. Here we go:

(I love my mother's handwriting. Isn't the giant thumb tack fun?!)

Deviled Eggs ala Gay

6 Eggs (older ones peel more easily than fresh ones)
1/4 cup Mayo
1 tea. Vinegar
1 tea. Mustard (the yellow on-your-hot-dog kind. Add more if desired)

1. Place your eggs in a pan with cool water. Be sure to set them down very gently so that they do not crack. Boil the water. The eggs will jump around a bit, but that will be okay since they warmed up with and started to cook as the water temperature increased. At my altitude it takes about 15-17 minutes to become hard boiled. Some areas can take less time or up to 22 minutes. Here's the thing - you want them hard boiled, not soft. If you boil them way too long the yolks turn green. They taste the same, but they look kind of funny and a bit gross that way. Once you think they are done you empty out the water and fill the saucepan (with the eggs still in it) with cold water. Let this sit long enough to cool the eggs a bit. I think we waited 5 minutes.

2. To remove the shells you tap them against the side of a surface, like the kitchen sink. then begin to peel off the shell. We begin at the bottom of the egg as there is a natural air pocket there. Be sure to be gentle or you might knick your egg whites with your fingernails. (This is where my technique leaves something to be desired.) Rinse the peeled egg and begin the next one.

3. Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolk. Do this by placing the rounded end of a spoon in between the widest part of the egg white and the yolk. Be very gentle when doing this.

4. Place the egg yolks, mayo, vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Use a fork to mash it all up until it is pretty smooth. Adjust the flavor according to your taste. You might want to add a touch of salt or maybe even hot sauce.


5. Use a clean spoon to scoop out some of the mixture and place it in the hole in the egg white. Some people sprinkle a small bit of paprika to add a bit of color contrast.

They are best that day, but will keep for the next day, too.

Thanks for the help, Mom. I love you!

No comments: