Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Of Bikes, Boats, Birthdays and Bouncing

Sunday and Monday were a whirlwind of fun.
Sunday began with the Scott Kornfield Classic Criterium, a course on smooth and wonderful roads. Ellie placed 4th. I think she might have still be tired from the long hill climb on Saturday.




The boats were very cool. The rowing looked hard, but fun.

Newbies can take rowing lessons and compete on Sunday afternoon. I think that might be fun to do.


I also enjoyed the various tents with displays. I thought the Chinese and Korean tents were the most interesting.





They also had several stages with lots of activities going on. I loved the dancing. One had traditional dances, another had hip-hop and step up dancing.


I hurried home just in time to go to Karen H's birthday BBQ. The food was great, especially the edible arrangements. Who knew that chocolate covered grapes could be so tasty! Her yard and pond were inviting. The company was interesting. It is nice when we get to visit with new people in a relaxed atmosphere.

Monday we met Laurel and her mother, Mike, at Jump Street. It looked like a blast. The girls jumped for a few hours. Mike and I talked. We then spent a ton of time at Park Meadows mall where the girls shopped and we talked. We had lunch in the food court and dinner at The Counter. The burgers were the best I've ever eaten in a restaurant I'd go there again, happily, as long as I had plenty of time to wait for slow, forgetful waitresses. Even after visiting for about 9 hours, we still had more to say. It was great to have a day like that.


I spent part of the afternoon at the Dragon Boat Festival. I have always wanted to go to this event but we are usually in Salida during this festival. The races were pretty cool to see, but the festival was too crowded. (I'm finding that I like crowds less and less as I get older.)

No comments: