Thursday, February 06, 2014

A Creative Playdate, A Large Rice Krispie and Sprinkle Heart and a Recipe for Pasta with Broccoli

The Fourteen Days of Valentine's Day - Day 5

For the 5th day of Valentine's Day Ellie made Kohlton a giant, heart shaped rice krispie treat.


I think it is all pretty fun. Pinterest makes it easier to find creative ideas.

My day was kind of crazy. The kids at school were snarky and the weather at 0 degrees for a high, was cold. Part way through lunch we had a special announcement to keep everyone in our rooms. After about an hour we learned that there was a natural gas leak across from the school. They evacuated the students out of the south entrance and released the teachers a short while later. Some teachers were not able to access their cars as they were parked next to the leak. I took a few of my colleagues to their homes.The leak was located an fixed that afternoon.

That evening I went to a "Creative Playdate" event at Two Hands Papierie in Boulder. I had not been before, so I did not know what to expect. Each person simply brings a project to work on. One woman was making a small tin box shrine. Mia, the store owner, was making wreath of handmade flower fashioned from tissue paper that had been dipped in bee's wax. She was making it as a sample for her class at "The Makerie" this summer. Another woman had a sketchbook and she was making drawings that were inspired by the cards, stamps, etc. that the store sells. The woman next to me was making a bracelet for her adult daughter. It featured the heart shaped rabies tags from the dogs the family owned while the daughter was still young enough to live at home. It is that mother's hope that her adult daughter will wear it to the "Heart Event" Ball that her daughter is helping organize in Atlanta. Although I brought stuff for several projects with me, I am a bit over-peopled this week, and so I had a hard time focusing. I cut out a few shapes from felt that I am appliquing onto my winter coat. I also bought a new, square sketchbook and I spent the time sketching some things in the store. I am especially drawn to the wood panel paintings by Kristiana Parn. I love the simple lines and the pop of color. Her art is so very different from my own.
By the end of the evening I had not really accomplished much of anything, but I did enjoy being around others who were being creative. I can be creative at home, but I am also distracted by the need to attend to others, deal with messes, give to dog loving, etc. Sometimes it is just nice to be away from home. I am planning on attending the next one in March.

On the way home I cranked up the radio and was absorbed by fun music from days past - Led Zepplin, "Angel is the CenterFold" by the Jake Giles Band, Pink Floyd, etc.

Back at home Ellie had taken charge and made dinner:

Easiest Pasta and Broccoli Recipe

via: Skinny Tastes

12 oz uncooked pasta
6 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets, no stems
5 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
salt and fresh cracked pepper

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When water boils, add pasta and broccoli at the same time and cook according to pasta instructions for al dente. When pasta is almost done cooking, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and broccoli.

Return the pot to the stove and set heat to high; add 1 tbsp olive oil, when hot, add garlic. Cook until golden, reduce flame to low and add pasta back to the pot.

Mix well, add remaining olive oil, grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste mixing well and smashing any large pieces of broccoli to break up.

Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water and mix well adding more if needed.

Serve in pasta bowls with additional grated cheese on the side.

No comments: