Thursday, February 27, 2014

Applying for a Scholarship to Attend a Workshop at Anderson Ranch + Sweet Potato Veggie Patties with Avocados Recipe

During the summer of 2011 I attended a week long workshop at Anderson Ranch in Snowmass, CO (near Vail.) It was an amazing and magical experience. I so desperately want to go again, but alas, we cannot afford it. However, they do offer scholarships, so I worked diligently on my application and submitted it last night.

I think the application is intended for people who are or are working on becoming full time professional artist, of which I am not. It caused me to look at myself a bit differently. I think the most challenging part was having to explain how I would benefit from attending, what my financial need is and why I merit receiving a scholarship, all in 1,000 characters (not words, mind you). My, that was a challenge.

Putting together a portfolio of 10 images was an eye opening experience as well. I experiment with different styles and mediums of art, so my portfolio is more of a jumble than anything that has a cohesive look to it. Ellie, the sweet girl that she is, said that it shows that I try out a lot of things and that I am open, talented. Here's what I submitted:

I struggle with the fact so many of the pieces I create don't match up to what is in my head. There is always something I am dissatisfied with; having the input of my family reminds me that what they see and celebrate does not have to match what I wanted to create. Sometimes I just have to say, "Enough. It is finished" and then go on to the next piece.
One of the advantages of taking a class, or workshop is that the "you're done" line is drawn for me and I surrender to that struggle. I am working on setting that line for myself more readily.

--------
Sweet Potato Veggie Patties with Avocado Slices
via:Lunchbox.com


Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
makes 7-8 large patties

2 cans cannellini white beans, drained (I used 1 can, not two)
1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp maple or agave syrup (I will leave this out next time)
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning (or another fave spice!)(I will double this amount next time)
1/4 cup wheat flour
optional: additional seasoning (whatever you have on hand - I used a few dashes cayenne, black pepper and a scoop of nutritional yeast)
salt to taste if needed

plentiful Panko crumbs
safflower oil for pan

burgers: avocado, Dijon mustard, grain buns, romaine, onion, olive oil, pepper

Directions:

1. Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
2. Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
3. Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs - or dry rice to thicken the mixture if needed.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
5. Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko crumbs. Thick coating. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. You could also bake. If baking, use less Panko.
6. Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve on toasted bun with lotsa toppings.

Note: yes this patty does fall kind of apart as you eat it. But that is OK because it tastes yummy.

No comments: