Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Blue River Get Away - A Few Days of Beauty in the Mountains of Colorado

Even though I live in Colorado and have visited mountains often, I am always taken by the beauty of it all.

Larr and I spent a few days up in Blue River, near Breckenridge, exploring the near by mountain passes and relaxing.

We took the scenic route up to the place we were staying at. On the west side of Loveland Pass, we found this lovely place:
There seems to be some nice spots to camp near this location. I would like to camp near there some time soon.

Then we made our to the sweet little A-Frame house in Blue River that we rented through Airbnb.
It was neat, clean and quiet - just what we were looking for. The one small challenge was that the bedroom was in the loft, which meant that I had to go up and down a ladder in order to go to the bathroom. It was more fun staying there than it would have been staying at a hotel.

On Tuesday we went over Hoosier Pass, down into Fairplay, Como and so on:
Outside of Alma, we took Buckskin up towards Kite Lake:
We also visited mining mill near a reservior (whose name I cannot remember - sorry about that.) At this point, the altitude was getting to me. It never used to bother me, but now it does from time to time. Larr supported me through my frustration with the altitude issue and we were able to carry on.
By the time we were just about done visiting that area, it began to rain in earnest. It had been cold all day, and drizzley for much of it. It was clearly time to head back home.

We spent a quiet evening in the cabin watching "Best in Show" and "Atlas Shrugged III."

Today we took the long route home, going over Boreas Pass. I am pretty sure that it is my favorite pass. Here are a few reasons why I feel that way:

We took other back roads getting home, including stopping at the bison park near Genesee.

School starts up in a short while, so I find my thinking drifting back towards teaching related topics. I have a few books on hold at the library that will help me reframe some of the topics I want to focus on. I still have some time to play.

No comments: