Saturday, July 04, 2015

Not the Usual 4th of July, Guanella Pass and "Ragged Old Flag"

Today was not our typical Fourth of July. We did not take part in the usual bike parade. We simply could not be there, whether to participate or just observe because so much of our family is not here today. Don is gone. In past years he loved to watch the festivities; he was honored more than once for his taking part in the war. He will always be linked to this holiday for us. Ethan is working nights, so he had to sleep during the day. Ellie is in New Hampshire with Kohlton, Mark and Martine. They are spending the holiday at a lake house on Crystal Lake with Mark's high school buddies. Tomorrow they will drive down to Cape Cod to be with Mark's family.

Last weekend Larr and I took a leisurely drive over Guanella Pass. It was nice to have some calm time together. I practice my photography a bit. I took some of the usual photographs, and I tried for some more artsy shots.
No matter where I visit, I am always glad to call Colorado home.

And finally, "Ragged Old Flag" by Johnny Cash. This one gets me every time:


I hope your Fourth of July was wonderful. I hope you found time between the summer activities to pause, reflect, and be thankful for what you have, even if it looks a bit ragged. In fact, perhaps ragged is just was is needed.

No comments: