Thursday, January 24, 2008

And Finally I Get to Weave...



(A photo is coming soon, I promise - you will have to simply imagine until then.)

I am not always a patient person. I try to be, but sometime it is just hard. I had to be very patient, whether I liked it or not, during the first two and a half of the weaving lessons I am taking. We are supposed to get to three projects in six weeks, so I thought we would be weaving much sooner. However, our instructor is very thorough and so I now know a lot more of the philosophy of weaving technique than I had known existed. We finally got our looms ready to go and I have already all but finished my project. Beyond the impatience, it has been fun.

The first fun part was selecting the yarns I would use. I am very consistent in what I like and one fiber company that I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE is Noro. If there is a single ball of Noro in a shop, I am likely to find it. Finding Noro yarn is like finding the gold egg in an Easter Egg hunt. For this project I selected a really fun fiber that is multicolored and has small sections that have been wrapped with something shiny. Like a crow, I am drawn to shiny things. This ball of fiber just had a hint of it. Enough to add some jazz, but not enough that it is tacky. (Hopefully you can see it shining through in the photo.) While it was really fun, it also presented some challenges. The yarn is very twisty and became stubborn at times. I was not to be deterred, so I told the yarn who is boss. We were fine after that! (The instructor will most likely steer people away from it for their first projects in the future.) The next fun part was to see how it will come out. How yarn looks in a ball or skein all by itself is usually very different from how it looks when combined with another yarns. In this case I selected a teal sort of yarn. I kept going and going while I was working on it at home because I wanted to see how each new color would look combined with the teal. I love it even though I can already see where I need to improve. The edges are not great. One of the goals my instructor has set for me was to keep my hands off of the weaving and let the loom do its part on its own. (I have a desire to fiddle and touch the edges every time.) Thus, I paid a lot of attention to the angle, tension and amount of strength I used each time I put in a new line. My edges are improving. I am trying very hard not to develop bad habit and this would have become one of them.

Ellie already wants it. I think it is too scratchy for anything to wear so I will most likely incorporate it into a sewn piece, like maybe a wall quilt for my girl.

No comments: