Wednesday, January 23, 2008

On Turning 83 and a Chantilly Creame Cake, Oh My...


This past week my father-in-law, Don, turned 83. We had a small, wonderful family party to celebrate the event.

He is a remarkable man. My husband and I met in 1983. We have been together ever since. Thus, Don has been like a father to me, truly. And I am enriched because of it. We nearly lost him about 1.2 years ago when he had a stroke, a heart attack and a seizure all in a row while at the grocery store. We had to face what life would be like without his presence and we could not get ourselves to look it in the face. His recovery was scary and rough. I am amazed how he was able to pull himself out of that dark place he resided in for a few months.

When you are 83 there is not much you want, so we gave him photos of the kids.It is a tradition for us to do this. Ellie took over the job of making the Grandpa Don birthday card. I was so proud of her. She dug around in the fabric box and came up with a chunk of red fleece. Then she zipped up stairs for one of her dad's shirts. I was all but banned from walking into the craft room while she created it. I love how the pocket is functional. It has a small "Happy Birthday" note tucked inside. I think that was actually his favorite present.

Mark and Lilia hosted the party at their house. They always do a bang up job of the parties they have. This time they purchased an AMAZING Chantilly Creme cake with Glazed Berries from Whole Foods. It was so pretty we almost did not want to eat it, but alas, we had to. It was as wonderful as it looked. The creme had a smooth texture with a light hint of almond. A flavor I had not connected with Chantilly Creme. Mine is usually coffee flavored. The berries were nice, but not overly sweet. It was a three layer cake with more creme and berries in between. I think that we may see more of these beauties cross our Birthday tables.

No comments: