Sunday, January 20, 2008

Valentine Card Making Party Invitations



A few years ago Ellie's friend, Christy, wanted to make Valentine's day cards with us since we have so much fun art stuff. Of course we said, "You are always welcome at our house."It was also logical to invite her mother. Then another friend found out and thus the beginnings of another one of our parties was born. Each year we now break up the end of January by hosting a Valentine Card Making Party & Potluck. Saturday morning I had to wait for the refrigerator repair man, so I set to work. I ended up with something different than I had imagined. I thought I would use the white embossed DCWV paper as a white background, put a strip or two of printed paper and cut out two large paper flowers to host the Valentine's Day round sticker in the middle. I started with the strips and really liked those. Then I began to love the embossed paper, wondering how it would look with a small bit of color. Then I noticed that the dotted lines dropped away. On my way to the bathroom I remembered that I have a lovely shade of brown art glitter from the Martha Stewart line. Next I decided to leave out the cut flowers as they would cover up too much of the lovely background. Than got my head spinning with quilt designs. I don't usually do cute, but I like this paper so much that I might have to make a cloth version of it. We'll see later on. The whole thing felt like the story, If You Give Moose a Cookie. Then I had to decorate the inside and both sides of the envelope. After all, otherwise they would be too naked and plain. This way the recipients will know right away who sent the card. It was a lovely way to spend a morning waiting for a repairman. In the end Ellie and I both worked on the cards. It was wonderful.

No comments: