Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Thinking about the Holidays - Brain Sieze!

Okay, I've got holiday, not that would be HOLIDAY, on the brain. I've got this thing for setting my extra talbe for the holidays. You see, I love dishes and table linens. If I had the money and space, I'd love to have dishes for each of the Ethnic and Holiday menus I like to prepare. My kids are old enough that I am beginning to kind of refigure out who I am, beyond the Mom, Wife and Teacher thing. I can finally start to decorate and not worry about how breakable it is.

Anyhow, right now my brain is siezed on two topics - what to cook for Thanksgiving and how will I decorate for Christmas.

You see, each year I like to challenge myself to come up with some fun new things to serve. Here's this year's find. The title is a bit silly, but the dish is WONDERFUL - especially if you have some vegetarians to feed. My husband loved this so much that he ate a full third of it and says that he would have loved spinach if his Mom had prepared it like this. One of the best things about this recipe is the speed in which it can be made, and how it smells.

Magic Circle Spinach Ring (Mine was a rectangle spinach pastry)

1 med. bag of Spinach, frozen type, thawed and drained/squeezed
1 # Swiss Cheese - grated
2 pks. Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough (the kind in the tube that you open)
1 egg
Seasoning to taste - salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, garlic, etc.
*I am considering adding pine nuts and marinated artichoke hearts to my next spinach pasry.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the spinach, egg and seasonings. Add in the grated cheese.
Unwrap the crescent rolls, form a start on an ungreased baking sheet (I was short on time so I made two rectangles instead). Mold/press the center parts of the pastry together so that it will hold the spinach mixture. Spread it out evenly and then fold over the pastry so that the spinach mixture is completely covered. Bake 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving. It is handy to slice it up before serving. This dish travels well.

You can be creative and add other things, like chicken, jack cheese and green chiles, etc.

Enjoy!

Now, the other thing my brain is busy with is redesigning how I decorate one of the rooms in our home. In the past it has been a mix of the stuff we have. This year I might have to be a bit more stylish about it. I'd like to make it blue and white. I have some wonderful pop-up books and I scored some of those wonderful garland by Tord Boontje that they are selling at Target this season. I was really hoping that there would be some matching linens and dishes. This room is our old living & dinning room space. I was able to get four of the gold and white bowls. They go with my Thanksgiving table set up (I will post a picture of that soon). Next, I want to get some fo the plates. They are white, gold, red and burgandy. Okay, so the whole blue and white concept will have to be a bit flexible. I want to find a way to get the paper cut (Tord and pop-up book concept) thing going. I want to hang some snowflakes in the windows. I want to find some white or silver reindeer, etc. I also am in desperate want of a blue and white table runner. The one I have in my head would be made of white and blue wool felt. The design would be something like the Tord garland made of wool, with a few small beads, tiny crystals, or the like. This has sent me on a quest to find the wool felt. With so many great quilting stores in Denver, you'd think I could find some, but alas, I have not. Well, I will simply have to continue the search...

No comments: