Saturday, November 25, 2006

WIP & Tord Boontje Inspiration

So, like so many other people doing the craft blogs in the US, I am in love with the Christmas decorations that they have at Target this year. They are designed by Tord Boontje. I love them so much that I even went to the store and took pictures of the displays, with the manager's blessing, of course. Since I love the dishes, I thought that I might find fun table linens,too. But, they did not do anything more than red favric. So, I tried to forget about it, but my brain would not obey. There was a nagging in the back of my mind, like an overstimulated, sugar-high child in the mall, crying for a table decoration that matched the garland. So, I finally gave in. I used the garland as inspiration and am making this table runner. This section looks good, but I have more to go. I put wonderunder, an iron on adhesive, on the back of white felt. Then I drew on the design. It is about a foot tall. After I drew it on there, I thought, "I must be CRAZY! Look at what amount of work it would take to cut that all out!" However, on Friday a friend came over to make boxes like the ones I have posted below. She had a blast. She does not consider herself crafty, and making the boxes was like watching magic appear, for her. So, I sat with her for about nine hours, explaining what she needed to do and cutting away when she was busy. I must say, I do think I will love it when I am done. I had thought of making one for someone else, but I think one will have to be enough! When I am done, it will be adhered to blue fabric and be embellished a bit. That will follow soon.

What are you working on?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's official Tam--you ARE crazy!! The runner is going to be fabulous. I'm guessing that because of the intricacy and time involved in this project, it will become one of your most treasured holiday pieces. Can't wait to see it in person. Love, N

Anonymous said...

I purchased some of the same garland after seeing it on Wee Wonderfuls. I love how you've translated it to this project. It's going to be beautiful.