Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ellie's Super Soft Hat


Ellie was excited when I finished Ethan's hat. She had high hopes that I might make hers next. She respectfully waited, and then hoped that the hat might magically be completed in a record amount of time - over the weekend and in time to wear it to school on Monday. As luck would have it, Saturday ended up being a day of errands and picking people up. I began knitting as we pulled out of the garage on Saturday morning. I knitted as my husband drove. Ellie watched as if I were a soccer match. Her excitement at seeing the stripes (one of her favorite things) develop was contagious. I kept on going. The black and dark scarlet yarns were heaven to work with - cashmere! Then she wanted a white stripe. It turned out that the vintage angora yarn was too thin to go it alone, so it partnered with the black for our favorite section. The whisps of white almost look like a slight snow angel halo. We had to keep going. By Sunday morning we were up the the point where I began to reduce the number of stitches. When you are to that point, you don't want to stop. By Sunday evening we sat with Grandma Eleanor and made pompoms with what was left of some of the yarns. Ellie is thrilled with the results! And in record, nearly magical time to boot! Now onto another hat for my husband, who keeps trying to lure Ethan's hat away from him. "Say son, you're not going to wear that hat today are you?..."

1 comment:

Peg said...

Whew! You're smokin' girl!!! :)
Beautiful hat!! (and daughter, as well!)