Saturday, January 27, 2007

Basketry Merit Badge & Organized Embellishments





Ethan has recently finished his basketry badge for Boy Scouts. At first the boys were not thrilled with this option, but elected to do it because it was too cold outside to do the badges they are excited about. However, once they go going, I think most of the boys enjoyed making the items. The ones pictured here are the ones Ethan made. I helped him a bit. At times I HAD to GIVE IT BACK to him because I wanted to do it all myself. I had no idea how much fun it would be - and so fast! Making these items was very gratifying. I think I will have to do it again, but I might add in some funky fibers as I do the weaving.

I also wanted to start some posts about things I love, things beyond the obvious, like my family. I will begin with this item, my Craft Mates Locking Caddy Organizer Tote. I have a lovely collection of embellishments that were all stuffed first in a bag, then in a box, in the containers they came in. Looking for something was a dangerous, messy journey. Now that I have my Craft Mates totes (I have two of them, nearly full) I don't have that problem any longer. What I love is that the tote holds special trays that have 14 little, individually locking cavaties. They are snug so the items, like sequins, don't visit their neighbors and mess up my organizaational system. Furthermore, they have a fail safe tab on the side that must be pushed in before the little doors will open. This prevents one opening during unexpected times. I got mine from Joanne's, a fabric and craft store. WIth their execellent coupons I got it for less than $20.


1 comment:

Peg said...

The baskets are great!!! He did a fabulous job on them! Isn't basket making fun!

OH, I love the Craft Mates storage containers. I've got a couple of the individual units and love them. Love how each space locks.

Can't wait to see what you make next!!!