Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Indian Summer Quilt WIP2


This is an update on the quilt that I am making for my bedroom wall. I really love how it is turning out. It is called Indian Summer. It is made of good quality quilt fabric. Last time I posted it someone mentioned that it looked like silk - I wish it was! This would be stunning done in raw silk!


I am currently hand quilting the leaf shapes. The darning foot for my machine was broken (It turned out that I was using the wrong kind!:( and it broke while working on another quilt) and the shop where I usually get stuff/ help for my machine was closed for a while due to illness. I fipantly thought I could just go to another store, but no, it was not so easy. I became paniced! Three shops later and still no darning foot - DARN!! How long would my usual shop be closed? (They are very old, after all - and had never been closed like that in all of the 22 years I have been going there!) And I could not wait to get to the quilting part, so I persisted. Last night I was thrilled to walk into a different shop and find the correct foot and it was only $5.49! What a happy girl that made me. I promptly took it home and practiced on another piece. I was AMAZED at what a difference it made. Quilting with the other one was like trying to get my kids to clean their rooms - a struggle at best, or maybe even a battle. I was so thrilled that I quilted away, getting 1/4 of a lap quilt done in an amazing amount of time. The right part is quite a joy! My war at the sewing machine became a pleasant dance. Anyhow, I digress. I am now in the throws of trying to decide how to quilt the one shown here. I have a few ideas for the leaf like sections. The innner border is a bit more challenging. Any suggestions?


Here are a few tips, in the event that you are quilting:

1. Spray starch should be one of your best friends.

I use it before I cut the shapes.

I use it after I sew blocks, but be for I square them up.

I apply it each time I am joining groups of blocks. By the time I get a quilt top, that baby is stiff, which reduces puckers when I quilt it.

I recently learned that many good quilters also starch the backing - which makes sense.

It should be noted, however, that you apply it to the back of the fabric, not the front, or it can look like you have bad dandriff.


Okay, maybe that is enough of a tip for the day.
On another note, one of my favorite blog entries for today is over at the Rag and Bone Bindery. They have a wonderful review of the booth they had at a show recently. If you love books, paper, fonts, etc., you'll love their blog!
Enjoy!




1 comment:

Peg said...

It is looking beautiful!!!!!!!