Monday, February 12, 2007

Pecan Oatmeal Snack Mix Recipe

Last week a friend at work had a very simple snack mix that many of us loved. I thought you might enjoy it, too. I had hoped to include a picture, but my family ate it quickly enough that I did not get a photo. You could take that as a testiment to its snacking goodness:

Pecan Oatmeal Snack Mix

8 cups Cereal (I used Quaker Oatmeal Brown Sugar Squares - 1 box, other cereals could work)
3 cups Pecans (whole, or pieces, I roasted the ones I purchased before using them)
1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup ( I used Karo Syrup)
1/2 Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla (Mexican Vanilla is best, if you can get it, but regular is fine, too)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda

Combine the nuts and cereal in a very large bowl. Microwave the syrup, brown sugar and butter on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir and return to microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir in the vanilla and baking soda. Pour this over the cereal and mix to coat. I used two spatuals so that I did not get burned. Spread this mixture on one or two cake pans or cookie sheets. (No need to grease the pan!) Bake for about 1 hour at 250 degrees and immediately scrape onto wax paper or cold cookie sheets. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, then break the pieces apart, if needed. (I was able to use a spatula and break the pieces apart right after it came out of the oven.)

I hope you enjoy this!

No comments: