Sunday, February 11, 2007

Melody Johnson - Inspiration Found

The Ark by Melody Johnson

Lavender Blue by Melody Johnson
Like most everyone in Blogland, I like to check out the links writers offer in their sidebar. That is how I found Melody Johnson's amazing blog, Fibermainia http://fibermania.blogspot.com/. I found it through the Crazy for Fiber blog, which I enjoy as well. Fibermainia is a wonderful gift to me. It is inspiration and a source for finding a creative hero. I want my own work to be something like this. Of course mine would look different, but I love her sense of color, balance and tone. I appreciate how the design is fluid. I love how she continues some of her design elements with her quilting. I am amazed at how she combines hand and machine quilting. I had been considering the same, but was not sure it would look good together. I worried that the hand quilting would look sloppy next to the machine quilting. Reading her blog gives me courage. If you go to her blog you will find close ups of the quilting, details how she does it. She is also gracious. When asked about "her book," she replies that it is on her blog and it is free. I still wish I could at least get a picture book of her quilts. Another amazing thing about her art is that she appears to create one a day, or nearly every day. Her calendar has her in Denver three times in the next several months. I am hoping to be able to attend one or more of those sessions. Thanks for the creative inspiration, Melody!

No comments: