Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sewing Kits -a good beginning & More Snow


Ellie and I have been very inspired by some of the items that we have seen on the Jujulovespolkadots blog (I've got her link there on the sidebar of this page) and have made a few of our own pincusions. We had so much fun, we decided to make the cherry needlebook, too. That was fun, but also a little fidgety. One part of my brain was says, "Hey, very cool and kind of fast, too." The other part of my brain said, "Oh no, not more of those little fabric berries. They are such a small, exacting thing to do!" The Fun side is winning over. We continue to make more of them, or rather I am. Here's what I have learned: 1) If you are making cherry berries from cloth and don't want them to have salvage edges showing, turn under a hem as you gather the material to make the berry. This is also true when making the yo-yos. 2) Filling the berries with stuffing is messy. The berries are small engough that wiggly bits of the stuffing want to pop out and look messy. It is better to make small scraps, or nibbles of batting from quiting. They behave better. 3) The thinner the needle, the better.

Ellie also decided that her monkey needed a hat, so she, being such a clever girl, fashioned one with just a wee bit of help. She will endeavor to make one for the monkey that goes with this one.

Snow has begun to fall, again. It has been predicted that we will get another 18" of snow. I am packing up some of the Christmas stuff. I usually wait until after the New Year to do that, but we have been home so much that I am ready for a less cluttered house. You'd think that since we have been home a lot that the house would be clean. I have endeavored to make this true, but the house still seems to be messy. As I enjoy the beauty of the falling snow, I am also wishing I had gotten some Valentine's day fabric. I think I need some hearts kinds of placemats.

1 comment:

Peg said...

Those are WAY cool!!!! I love them!! You're inspiring me!!!