Friday, December 22, 2006

A Small Tin for Alexis







This little tin was a great challenge, one I took up for Alexis. She is my student assistant, and a wonderful one at that. She has been my student since she was a sophomore. She will be going into the Navy and I will miss her greatly. I've watched her transform from a sweet sophomore to an insightful, responsible and resourceful young woman. I wanted to make something special for her. Knowing that we was going into the Navy I knew I could not do my usual stuff. When I asked her what she would like she told me that she would love a very small thing that she could take with her that would hold photograhs. It would need to be travel hardy and study. It also needed to be very light. I thought this would be the ticket. It is about 1/2" thick and comes with an accordian book inside with 7 panels. She can pick 14 photos to attach to it and it should still close. I grappled with decorating the accordian book, too, but decided against it. I will leave that for her doing.
Weather wise I am in day three of being home. Yesterday we spent the afternoon digging out the alley. We are in the middle of the block, so it was no easy feat. It took all four of us many hours to get it done. In some places the snowdrifts were four feet high. I had to dig in layers as the snow, non-drift snow that is, was up to the top of the pockets on my pants. When we tried to drive out, just so Larr could go to work on Friday, we got stuck. It took five people pushing to get the car out of the rut. We decided to not drive today. Being the ever resourceful man that he is, he found someone with a 4 wheel drive and high clearance to take them to work/school. Yesterday morning the kids walked over to my mom's house a few blocks away and brought back a few cups of flour and Chex mix. We enjoyed it while we watched movies.
While I am enjoying my free time, I am also becoming nervous. The Big S presents are at the in-law's house, the wall hanging for Ellie is still at work, I am one gift short for Ethan and I don't have what I need to make the Buche de Noel that I traditionally make each year for Christmas. However, I will chase away those nervous feelings by cooking the gingerbread that we have on Christmas Eve. Don't you just wish this had a smell-o-vision feature?



1 comment:

Peg said...

OH, this turned out amazing!! I love it!! I'm sure that she will be quite pleased with it. Beautiful!!